A BIG COMEBACK: Survey says Americans gearing up to go
While there is little indication that Canadians will be going anywhere soon, travel fever is heating up south of the border with nearly half of Americans expecting to travel again in the next three months, according to a new Tripadvisor survey. And, notably, those plans include international travel.
Tripadvisor says that its 2021 Summer Travel Index reveals that with every passing day travel is making “a big comeback.” Nearly half of Americans (43%) in the recent survey believe travel activity will rebound within three months. And even more (67%) are planning to travel this summer (June 1 – Aug. 31), which is a 17% increase from those who are travelling this spring (March 1- May 31).
Amongst survey respondents, millennials are the most excited to resume travelling with 72% of the generation planning trips. Although many still plan to drive to their destination (43%), 19% plan to fly, up 4% from this spring.
Americans are also done with quiet staycations and hanging out idly in their homes, observes Tripadvisor. Compared to the first week of January, hotel searches are up 65%, searches for experiences (attractions and tours) increased by 78%, and restaurant searches are up 53%.
• Of those planning to travel, 74% of Americans will take a domestic trip and 13% will travel internationally.
• Americans ready for longer R&R, with 29% taking a week-long trip and 28% vacationing for 10 days.
• Most popular travel weeks begin June 21 and 28, timed around Independence Day.
• Summer splurge: Over half (53%) of Americans plan to spend more on trips this year vs. last summer, rising to 66% for millennials. Globally, Americans are the biggest summer spenders, planning to shell out 9% more than the average traveller around the world.
• Hottest amenities: Clean hotels, free cancelations, hotels with restaurants.
• Beach destinations are top of mind, with travellers most interested in sunny Florida and Mexico. Their choice of where to stay reiterates that desire: the most popular accommodation types for 2021 summer trips are all-inclusives and beach resorts.
• Top 10 destinations are Cancun, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Miami Beach, Las Vegas, Playa del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas, Tulum, and Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, Tripadvisor reports that its online survey of 2,500 consumers from April 1 to 8 indicates that nearly half (48%) of travellers are planning summer trips, with more than a third (38%) staying domestic and less then one in 10 (9%) venturing internationally.
Luxurious destinations like Bora Bora and Dubai topped the list of most searched international destinations, while Greece and Iceland gained the most momentum in the last several months.
First published at Travel Industry Today